Plant Empire Small Wonders Exhibition
Artworks from the Plant Empire Small Wonders Exhibition are available online now: see the artwork.
Plant Empire will host its first ever Small Wonders Exhibition from 2-8 April 2022 and invites applications from creatives, artists and gardeners to show and sell their small works in this exhibition. Works in this exhibition should be both small in size and also engage with the theme of discovering the hidden wonder/s of life. The deadline for applications is 31 December 2021.
Entries that are accepted in the exhibition will be displayed and available for sale at Plant Empire’s premises in Yeerongpilly (indoors or outdoors, as appropriate) and/or online.
Prize money of a minimum of $1,000 made up of application entry fees and contributions from sponsor/s and Plant Empire will be awarded to the best entry (or entries). A judging panel selected by Plant Empire’s owner and manager and comprising an expert in the field of art, an expert in the field of natural sciences, and one Plant Empire customer will decide on the winning entry (or entries). Applicants will be informed of the judging panel prior to judging. The judges’ decision/s will be final.
Applications are invited from creatives, artists and gardeners to show and sell their work in the Plant Empire Small Wonders Exhibition. Work must be small enough to fit in a supermarket shopping basket and have a connection with nature, broadly conceived, and may use any material, including live plants.
Applicants located outside Brisbane are encouraged to apply. Entries that aren’t able to be displayed at Plant Empire’s premises will be displayed online.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com with a subject line “PESWE Application [No.]: [Applicant’s name]” and the following information in the body of the email:
- Applicant’s name and contact details (name, address, email and phone).
- Title of work, if applicable.
- Type of work (e.g. painting, planter, sculpture, mosaic, jewellery, photograph, garden etc).
- Brief description of work (max 100 words), as you would like it to appear online.
- Supporting images of the work, either as concept drawings, or a photo of completed or partly completed work (max 5 MB in size).
- Size of work (length x depth x height).
- Estimated price range for work.
- Brief bio of applicant (max 200 words), as you would like it appear online.
- Details of any special installation requirements that might be needed.
- Copy of insurance/s held, if relevant.
Applications must be received by email by 31 December 2021. Successful applications will be notified by email by 31 January 2022.
Successful applications will attract a $20 entry fee which will be pooled as prize money. Entries will be available for sale at a price nominated by its creator, and 30% of the amount received for sold items will be retained by Plant Empire as commission. Plant Empire will process sales of works during the exhibition; however, exhibitors will be invited to help with installing the exhibition and/or staffing the exhibition to provide opportunities to interact with customers as part of a shared exhibitor roster over the course of the exhibition.
Applicants will be responsible for installing their artwork, maintaining it for the course of the exhibition (if maintenance is required), and removing it afterwards if it remains unsold.
Plant Empire will not be responsible for any breakages or losses during the exhibition. Applicants displaying works involving sculptures or installations will be required to hold public liability insurance.
Responses to frequently asked questions which may be added from time to time on this webpage form part of the exhibition terms and conditions.
- Q: Is it possible to submit more than one application for the exhibition?
- Q: If I submit more than one application, will I need to pay an application fee for each one?
A: Yes, each successful application will attract a $20 fee.
Q: If I submit a series of works, can I pay one application fee but still price them separately?
A: No, each work that is individually priced will attract a $20 fee.
- Q: If I submit more than one application, can I send them together in the same email?
A: No, each application should be submitted in separate emails.
- Q: If I submit more than one application, do I need to submit them all at the same time?
A: No, applications can be submitted at any time up until the deadline.
- Q: Can the work to be considered for the upcoming exhibition be prints of original artwork?
A: Works included in the exhibition are to be unique original as appropriate for the medium.
- Q: Are there any size restrictions?
A: Yes. Works must be able to fit in a supermarket shopping basket (48 x 33 x 27cm).
- Q: What type of insurance do you expect?
A: Applicants displaying sculptures or installations will be required to hold public liability insurance. We won’t be held responsible for breakages or losses during the exhibition, but it isn’t a requirement for you to hold insurance if you are displaying other low-risk artworks such as paintings.
- Q: If I can fold my item up to make it fit in a supermarket shopping basket, does that meet the size requirements?
A: No. The item must fit the size requirements as it will be displayed in the exhibition.
- Q: Can I add entries after the deadline?
- Q: Can I withdraw entries after the deadline, and is the entry fee refundable if so?
A: Yes, you can withdraw entries after the deadline; but the entry fee applies to all accepted entries and is non-refundable.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding this exhibition or the submission process.